Having always loved a simple recipe that others are afraid to try, this recipe for Cranberry Upside-Down Coffee Cake is one of my favorite recipes for a breakfast, dessert, or even a side dish. Most people serve it with coffee (of course), but being the wine lover that I am, I prefer it after dinner with a nice warm glass of mulled syrah!
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar-
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Wrap the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with aluminum foil to prevent leaking. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar and 1/3 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then pour into bottom of springform pan. Sprinkle with cranberries and pecans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture with the sour cream. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter and carefully remove pan. Serve warm.